Are you sure?

Working abroad Application Process

How to get a working holiday visa for Spain I Yobbers

Last update: 27 June, 2023  ◦  3 May, 2023 by
Lotte  ◦  413 views  ◦  3 minutes reading time
Getting a working holiday visa in Spain

Do you want to go abroad and experience the exciting Spanish culture and lifestyle? DO IT! We definitely recommend a job in Spain, the Yobbers team in Valencia enjoys it a lot! In this blog post, we will explain everything you need to know regarding a working holiday visa in Spain.

Working holiday visa for an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen

If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen, you can do seasonal work quite easily in Spain. You can stay and work without a working holiday visa in Spain for up to three months. The only requirement is that you have a valid national ID or passport. However, you need an NIE number. 

NIE number 

An NIE number is the tax number in Spain. You need this if you are going to work or sign contracts. We previously wrote a blog with everything you need to know about an NIE number

Staying for longer than 3 months 

If you plan to live and work in Spain for longer than 3 months, you need to get the EU registry certificate, also known as green card. This is the legal document any EU national needs to request in order to become legal in the country. Obtaining this certificate is not difficult, and you can manage do to it in 24 hours. You need to fill in the request via the official website of the Spanish government and make an appointment at the immigration office. 

Staying for longer than 183 days

If you are staying for more than 183 days in one year, you still do not need a working holiday visa in Spain. However, you will be considered a tax resident. The 183 days is not calculated on a continuous number of days, but on the total number of days, you have stayed in Spain. So in that case, you are required to file a tax return. If you are a resident in two countries, you are a tax resident in the country in which you gave the strongest personal and/or economic benefit. 


Tip: there are a lot of businesses which can help you with these documents in Spain. Besides this, a lot of employers offer help with these documents. 

Residency for UK citizens after the Brexit

From the first of January 2021, UK citizens need a working holiday visa in Spain. Stay tuned, next week we will upload a blog post with all the information you need regarding this working holiday visa! 

Residency for non-EU, EEA or Swiss citizens

If you are not a citizen of an EU member state, the EEA, or Switzerland, you may be eligible to participate in Spain's working holiday program. The program allows young people from Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea to live and work in Spain for up to 12 months. 


You must meet the following requirements:

  • Be between the ages of 18 and 30
  • Be a citizen of one of the participating countries
  • Have a valid passport
  • Have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay in Spain
  • Have health insurance coverage for the duration of your stay


If you meet these requirements, you can apply for the working holiday program through the Spanish embassy or consulate in your home country. The application process may vary depending on the embassy, but you will generally need to submit the necessary documents, such as a valid passport, a letter of motivation, and proof of sufficient funds and health insurance. Once your application is approved, you will receive a visa that allows you to live and work in Spain for up to 12 months.


Now you know everything you need to know about your working holiday visa in Spain, so it is time to search for a job! We wish everyone a great experience abroad, and therefore we are here to help you! Have a look at all our vacancies and apply if you are interested. We will guide you through the whole process for a permanent position. 

What do you think of this blog?

visa living in spain working in spain spain


No comments yet

Sign up to post a comment.
Sign in